Waterproofing the floor is not required, but can be beneficial in some cases. Today’s construction methods, which include the use of lightweight, moisture-sensitive materials, such as plywood, OSB, and gypsum concrete, have made the installation of hard surface coverings particularly challenging.
· For decks built over occupied living space, there’s a Kerdi specification called D-EXT-OS-13 that requires a roofing membrane installed on a plywood deck, followed by a drainage mat and a 1 ½-inch-thick reinforced mortar bed. A Schluter-Ditra membrane is then installed over the hardened mortar bed prior to actual tile installation.
Kerdi is a sheet-applied polyethylene waterproofing membrane and vapor retarder. Kerdi200/5M covers 54 sq. ft. and is ideal for waterproofing tiled tub surrounds and showers. This membrane features an anchoring fleece on both sides to anchor it in thin-set mortar.
The PLI-DEK waterproof deck system for plywood substrates has been ICC-ES evaluated since 1980. The system utilizes a 2.5 galvanized metal lath and a polyacrylic emulsion base coat, with a wide variety of finish options. All of the systems carry a One-Hour and Class A Fire Rating.
Schluter ®-KERDI is a pliable sheet-applied waterproofing membrane and vapor-retarder designed for the direct application of tile.KERDI is ideal for use in tiled showers, bathtub surrounds, residential steam showers, and other tile applications in wet areas. Sheet-applied polyethylene waterproofing membrane and vapor retarderDealer Locator · Kerdi-Board Panels · Waterproofing · Drains · Schluter -Kerdi-Band · Membranes
· Another area of your home that needs waterproofing is a plywood deck. Plywood decks are an integral part of many homes and can be found in all kinds of states. Some decks are immaculate and waterproofed while others well, they just look awful. Exposed wood is just as bad as exposed concrete.
I'm a little concerned that your lumberman doesn't realize if you put deck sealer on the plywood, the thinset won't make a bond to it. Don't use Thompson's or any other sealer on the plywood before installing the thinset and DITRA. I'd also stick to using KERDI on the shower floor. DITRA can be used, but there's really no need for it.
Prestige Deck Coating is an expert at waterproofing plywood decks. We can install our deck coating system over the top of either types. We can also waterproof concrete decks. Waterproofing Plywood Decks Repair. Repair. Before we apply our waterproof decking system, we often perform deck repair.
· Waterproofing plywood decking is as easy as 1,2,3,4,5 Prep. We repair any soft spots or damaged parts of the plywood decking using 3/4 inc plywood sheeting. Then we are ready to install our custom system over the top of the plywood substrate foundation. Deck flashing is installed along the perimeter to insure against water penetration.
Ames’® Safe-T-Deck is best applied between 50° to 90° F 10° to 32° C on warm dry surfaces. Apply when the streets are dry, the sun is in the sky and no inclement weather is forecast. Each coat starts to dry in 2 hours but can take up to 24 hours depending on temperature and humidity. Average time for complete system is 2-4 days.
Home / Waterproofing Plywood. Sealing Plywood for longer life. Sealing Plywood for longer life. Plywood is an important and stable building material, comprised of many different veneers glued together at right angles.
· It is not a substitue for a waterproof membrane and is not used in showers. Ditra's highest and best use is over plywood, as it prevents the tile from expanding and contracting at the same rate as the plywood and is very thin, about an eight of an inch, so it
Seems the plywood joints would be staggered, but through a top layer joint and out a bottom layer joint? You just may be bang on there, cx. Indeed, there was a kerdi band joint almost directly above the beam and yes, the grout cracking was apparent in this immediate area, as well.
· Re: Outdoor tiled deck over living space I talked to my tilesetter this evening. He is proposing a waterproofing system from Mer-Ko to waterproof the plywood, then a mortar bed, then another waterproofing layer over that I assume a liquid applied product but didn't ask .Tile over torch downAug 29, 2011Schluter Shower substrateMar 16, 2008Framing exterior tile deck over living spaceSep 06, 2007See more results
Schluter Kerdi Waterproofing Membrane is ideal for waterproofing tiled tub surrounds and showers. Constructed of plastic material. Schluter Kerdi 3 ft. 3 in. x 16 ft. 5 in. Waterproofing Membrane-KERDI200/5M - The Seven Trust