· As the deck ages over the years, more opaque stains can be applied over wood preservatives. Negatives of wood preservatives/toners. Deck and Fence wood preservatives and toners cannot be applied over anything darker or opaquer than what is currently present. Decks over 15 years old that have cracking and obvious age only look marginally better.
Stain the wood. It won't last as long but when its time to re"paint" the only prep is to hose it down with a little bleach. With paint it will start to peel, you will need to sand any areas that are peeling before repainting. Stain will last 7-10 years, paint 10-15.
· Hello - looking to paint my wooden fence and was wondering the pros and cons of using paint versus a stain. Also, is using primer needed ? I intend to power wash the fence beofre hand, as there is a lot of chipping. I don't think the fence has been touched in about ten years - it is white but I'm thinking of making it hunter green to match my home.
BEHR ® Solid Colour House and Fence Wood Stain. Get all the best features of oil and latex with BEHR’s Solid Colour House and Fence Wood Stain. This exterior formula creates a durable film that resists cracking and peeling on your home’s vertical surfaces.
· A new fence can be quite the investment so protecting it is a good idea. Applying a weatherproof stain to your new fence will ensure it looks good and lasts for many years. A new fence will need to dry for several months before it can be sealed. New wood is pretty green, meaning it has a lot of moisture in it.
· The longest lasting deck stain. Most stain claiming 8 years or more are a coating or film forming stain. Something you have to realize is that no matter how long the coating lasts, it will surely lose it’s luster rather quickly unlike a car which has a much harder finish on top of metal. The wood stain can’t be hard or it will crack
· Here are some ways you can maximize the life of your wood fencing: Get your fence stained as needed. A good stain can last 5-10 years, but some fade within 1-3 years. If you invest in a good quality fence stain, you can protect your wood and avoid having to stain it every year. Keep debris off your fence line.
· In 10 years as a painting contractor we did miles of fence. If you can’t just let it gray, then here are simple steps. 1 Powerwash it with a wide angle tip to remove most of the loose stain that may have stayed on the surface and not penetrated the PT lumber.
A polyurethane-stained fence post may not require maintenance much more than once every ten years. The only real disadvantage of polyurethanes is cost; they generally cost about half-again as much as a pure oil stain, and with some proprietary polyurethane products, even more.
Top 10 Tips for Wood Fences: How to Make Your Gray Fence Look Great for Years.power wash gray wood to make it look new again and then use Flood sealer with UV protection.clear if you want the natural wood look.
· Oil-based stains last much longer: even when this stain grows “old” it doesn’t produce the same kind of cracking and chipping that water based stains can produce. Of course you will want to make sure to test your stain, either on a piece of scrap wood or a portion of the fence
· With these adapters, I have not replaced a fence in years, nor does it look like I will have to for a very long time to come. Again my advice, the best way to protect your new redwood fence is to leave your fence alone. Let the wood stay natural in order for the wood to breathe ..experience. You and your family have a great holiday.
· Most toners last 2 ½ years on decks and 4 years on fences. Areas with significant shade can last at least a year longer. The reason decks last a shorter amount of time is because of the constant wear. Semi-transparent Stains. Semi-transparent deck and fence stains come in a larger sample of colors than wood preservatives/ toners.
The stain is actually in pretty decent shape considering I apparently put water based over oil based with no prep. The horizontal top of the fence is pretty much devoid of stain at this point and there is a fair amount of green mildew, but for the most part the vertical boards are looking decent.
Stain soaks into the wood rather than adhering to it so if you use a high quality stain, it should last a long time with little maintenance. I had a wood fence that I painted white and it seemed like the place I started already looked crummy by the time I got to the end of the fence.
What is the Longest Lasting Deck Stain Brand and Sealer is a common question that a residential homeowner may have. Tired of trying all of the stains that are available locally, homeowners are looking towards the Internet for deck stain reviews and help to find a better alternative for the exterior wood.
Longevity depends on sun exposure, sprinkler system patterns, correct application, and % of humidity at the time of staining the wood. Smitty's fence stain has been tested on over 1800 fences and counting in the last 5 years with only great results with NO formula change.
Without protection the wood fibers become dry and bleached. With the proper wood sealer and maintenance you can extend the life that a wood fence lasts for many years. If the fence is frequently subject to water as when a sprinkler soaks it the minerals in the water can tint the wood white when the water evaporates.
A wood fence is a great choice for both form and function. Nevertheless, how long a wood fence will last is sometimes difficult to answer. There are those that will need a replacement in 10 years, while others will last 50 years or more. Some of this is caused by climate.
Sand the wood with 120 grit paper. Wear a mask to avoid inhaling any dust. Wipe away dust with white spirit and leave to dry. Stir well before use and test on a small area to
· The stain does a great job of penetrating the wood and it tends to keep its color. It will last for about two years. If you plan to use the same brand when you have to reapply the stain then, again, you can get away with simply cleaning your fence and re-staining it.
After 10 years you can expect about a 30% return on original investment of a well maintained wood fence $3000 x .3 = $900 value upon resale. If you consider the additional expenses for staining, repairs, and termite treatments then a $6000 investment after 10 years is only $900 return.
Our 10 Year Wood Stain gives you long lasting protection. Dries in 1 hour, no need for basecoats or primers. Available in 11 colours.